Remembering the 70s

A Simpler Time

Remembering the 70s - A Simpler Time

When it is time to put your animal down…

This probably is about the 70s as much as it is about Country Vs City life. I over heard someone talking the other day and they were basically making fun of a someone they knew, how they said they had to go out  and shoot their dog. Liking it somewhat to a barbaric country hick act.

We have always put down our own animals. It just the way it is. My dad grew up on a farm when he was a boy and they put down their own animals, so I am sure that is why we did it too.

I guess I am actually kind of upset at this nonchalant attitude that its a country hick thing to do. You really think its that easy to pull the trigger on a dog that you have played with and grown up with for the last 14 years? To dig a grave and then bury them?

Know what I think is nonchalant? People who leave their pets at the vets to be put down and they don’t even take the time to be with them as they pass away. I know people like that. Sorry if you fit that category, but when your pet has given you years of enjoyment I think you should at least be there to comfort them as they go.

To me that is barbaric.

Category: 70s
  • Martha says:

You are so right. It’s ignorance. People criticize others for their actions when they don’t even understand the concept behind them. And I agree with you about people leaving their pets at the vet to be put down. I have two cats that I cherish. When their time comes, I will be holding them as they pass on. It’ll be hard and I’ll be crying like a baby, for sure, but I will be there to comfort them, and help them make a peaceful transition.

May 6, 2013 at 8:36 pm
    • WebDebris says:

It is very hard, especially when your pets are basically kids, but there would be no way in hell I would let them pass on alone.

May 7, 2013 at 11:05 am
  • Jane says:

I completely agree with you. One thing I can never understand are people who take their pet to be put down and then leave their body to be disposed of by the vet…. !! If they have loved that pet (as they claim) how could you just leave them there – to basically be thrown away? It boggles the brain and breaks my heart. I have always buried my pets myself. When I put down our cat of 19 years, I stayed with her through the entire procedure and then brought her back home. It may sound morbid to some, but I put down a blanket on my bed and laid her out on it for a few hours. Later she was buried in the backyard.

May 10, 2013 at 11:34 am
    • WebDebris says:

No way could I do that to my pet. Malice is the first cat that is “mine”. By saying mine I mean most of our cats have always taken to the Mrs. But Malice for whatever reason has taken to me. It will absouletly kill me that day comes to pass that she will have to be put down. But I will be there.

May 14, 2013 at 12:17 pm
  • Jane says:

Also, I believe it is good for children to honor their pets by having a ceremony and burying them when they pass – even hamsters :)

May 10, 2013 at 12:05 pm
    • WebDebris says:

Death is part of life. You can’t ignore it by trying to not see it.

May 14, 2013 at 12:17 pm
  • jodie hays says:

i silently vow to each of my beloved dogs that i will be there with them to the end…and i have done so twice. it’s hard as hell – but you do it for them…an you don’t cry and carry on and make them upset. you soothe them and say calm, sweet words to them until the end comes. then you go cry your head off…but you DON’T leave them on their own to face it by themselves.

July 25, 2013 at 2:33 pm
    • WebDebris says:

Hi Jodie and thanks for stopping by! I have been away for awhile so I am really sorry for the late reply. It is hard as hell. I don’t have kids so our pets are pretty much our children. I think it is just horrid to leave them there.

August 21, 2013 at 12:28 pm

Your email address will not be published.