Remembering the 70s

A Simpler Time

Remembering the 70s - A Simpler Time

Various Chess Sets from the 70s

Hmmm, my post was fine before it published, but then it fell apart. So here is the second try.

Sometimes when I look thru the catalogs it sparks memories I had forgotten. This ad did just that.

Magnetic Bookcase Chess Set from 1972

Magnetic Bookcase Chess Set from 1972

My parents bought the brown one for my brother and when he passed away it came to me. I just wish I hadn’t been so careless about things because after four house moves I don’t even know where it is anymore. I don’t even know if I still have it.   I actually looked thru the house last night after posting this and I found it! I am not going to be so careless in the future.

I always wanted to buy this three level chess set for my dad. He taught me to play chess when I was a really young. I don’t know how he had the patience, but he did, and I’m glad because I enjoy playing it.

Three Level Chess Set from 1972

Three Level Chess Set from 1972

My dad used to paint chess sets as a hobby. I still remember the last set he hand painted. My mother was talking about it at a hobby store and the owner asked if she could display it in her window to which my dad agreed. A patron who saw the chess set offered my father $100 for the set. (That was a lot of money in the 70s!) But my dad turned it down and kept that set for himself. I still recall how special I felt when dad would play chess with me using that very prized set.

These are the types of sets he would paint.

Fancy Chess Sets from 1972

Fancy Chess Sets from 1972

This last one has no special memories. I thought it was just fun to look at. This set is huge!

Huge Rug Chess Set from 1972

Huge Rug Chess Set from 1972

Category: 70s
  • Martha says:

My brother taught me how to play chess, and I really enjoyed the game. I haven’t played in years, and I’m not sure I’d even remember how anymore. Some chess sets are beautiful. You can leave them out in the open as a decoration.

July 2, 2012 at 7:52 am
    • WebDebris says:

The version of the post was mangled when you read it so sorry about that. Not sure what happened. My father taught me how to play years up years ago. His chess set was awesome. He doesn’t display it all the time thought because it is hard to get dust off the pieces.

July 2, 2012 at 8:05 am
  • Jane says:

What a cool hobby. I’ve never heard of anyone painting chess sets before. I remember those little magnetic sets. Giant chess sets are hilarious – interestingly, I saw one in a store window in NZ – it was probably 3x’s the size. Love Dad’s pipe :)

July 2, 2012 at 2:47 pm
    • WebDebris says:

Holy cow! Three times the size?!? You would need a pretty big room to play chess lol. Maybe someday I can get a picture of his chess set to put on my blog. It is really neat.

July 2, 2012 at 9:15 pm
  • Abel says:

Great post. My father taught me and my brothers to play chess. We still enjoy games occasionally and dad still finds a way to beats us every time. I have since passed my chess knowledge onto to my daughters. I recall back in the early 80′s that Franklin Mint offered a really wonderful civil war chess set that I always wanted and of course our family could not afford at the time. Also I can understand your father being reluctant to part with the chess set; given the time and effort he put into it, and his love of the game. Thanks again for the great post.

July 3, 2012 at 4:57 pm
    • WebDebris says:

Now that you mentioned the Civil War chess set I can remember that commercial. Someone posted the commercial on youtube if you want to check it out.

And I could never beat my father at chess either lol.

July 3, 2012 at 9:52 pm
  • Abel says:

Thanks for the link…

July 5, 2012 at 10:19 am

Your email address will not be published.