Remembering the 70s

A Simpler Time

Remembering the 70s - A Simpler Time

1970s Pre-historic Dinosaur Caveman Play Set

My brother (who was five years older than me) had one of these as a toy. I am not sure which set he had because when I started playing with it many of the pieces were missing. The only thing that survived after I had grown up was an orange colored Stegosaurus.

Like most kids my age I had a huge fascination with dinosaurs. I had lots of fun with the pieces that I had, but sadly many army men died a glorious death protecting civilization from the dinosaur invasions. Calvin and Hobbes would have been proud.

Prehistoric Play Set from Aldens 1972

Prehistoric Play Set from Aldens 1972

One Million BC Play Set from Sears 1975

One Million BC Play Set from Sears 1975

1976 Pre-Historic Dinosaur Play Set from JCPenny

1976 Pre-Historic Dinosaur Play Set from JCPenny

1979 Pre-Historic Dinosaur Play Set from Sears

1979 Pre-Historic Dinosaur Play Set from Sears

Category: 70s, 70s Toys
  • Jane says:

Sounds like you’d enjoy our Badlands up here in Alberta :)

November 2, 2011 at 9:39 am
    • WebDebris says:

I would love to see that! Thank you for the link. Too bad it isn’t 90 minutes away from Tampa :(

November 3, 2011 at 7:19 am
  • Jane says:

This is a good one as well :)

November 2, 2011 at 9:44 am
    • WebDebris says:

I have seen a couple dinosaur displays but nothing like this.

November 3, 2011 at 7:21 am
  • Martha says:

My brother and I would have loved a set like this! It would have worked well with our own bunch of army men. We certainly had a lot of imagination back then, didn’t we?

November 3, 2011 at 5:23 am
    • WebDebris says:

Those poor army men always faced the worst of scenarios… lol

November 3, 2011 at 7:22 am
  • Caesius says:

I was looking for this One Million B.C. Play Set online – but didn’t know what it was called. I just had a memory flash of the cavemen figures. I really liked those. The one holding a rock over his head, and I recall one skinning something like a rabbit. I am so grateful for your posting these. Ah, the memories.

May 25, 2012 at 10:25 pm
    • WebDebris says:

Hi Caesius and thanks for stopping by! I wished I had more of them. I would love to pick one of these sets up in the future just for the nostalgic memories. I played with that orange stegosaurus for years. I remember and episode of Land of the Lost where they got the stegosaurus to breathe fire, so of course in my mind, my stegosaurus could too. Great times.

May 30, 2012 at 2:25 pm
  • GonzoWolf says:

I had this entire playset when I was a kid. I remember the caveman squatting and skinning a rabbit, the one with rocks on his head. My set wasn’t all those bright colors they were grey,brown, and greenish, much more muted. I was a dinosaur purist and appreciated the accuracy and detail on the figures and their names and size on their bellies. I was happy to overlook the fact that the cavemen and mammals were from a later era, I just played, I kept them in good shape and was careful with the big box they came in, but eventually my mom, thinking me too old and wanting me to act more like a young lady, gave them to a younger cousin who lost a lot of it., but I still think about it and wish I still had it.

August 31, 2012 at 1:42 pm
    • WebDebris says:

Hi GonzoWolf and thank you for posting a memory! As I had mentioned in the post, I didn’t have many pieces left by the time the set came to me. I do remember that what few dinosours I had left, I used to display them in a shoebox scene. You are probably familiar with the concept, where you cut one side of a shoe box off and add plants, rocks, and paint a background on the remaining three walls. I used trees and grass from our HO scale train sets. I had a lot of fun creating those.

August 31, 2012 at 9:01 pm

Your email address will not be published.